The Duke of New Mexico

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Holy Rusted Metal Batman.... It's a Bat!


Now, I'm very happy to say that this photo was NOT taken with optical zoom. While we were hiking in the Lava tubes near Grants, we saw this little bat "hanging out" near the entrance. It was great to see it so close. We were inches away from him and we could have grabbed him with our bare hands if we wanted to... but decided to leave the little guy alone. He was fast asleep. He actually woke up and started chirping at us at one point. I even got some of it on video with my camera. He wasn't very big at all (maybe 2 and a half inches or so). I doubt that I'll be able to see a bat like that so upclose in the wild again. He was so cute. Yeah, you heard me, cute!

2 Comments:

  • It's good you didn't pick up the bat! Generally speaking, any bat that allows you to get close enough to pick it up is sick, and sick bats could be sick from RABIES!!

    Looks like a big eared bat from what I can see of it.

    I came to your page via pictures posted on the amazon page for your camera. Looks good so far! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 PM  

  • Wow, you seem to know quite a lot about bats. Thanks for your post! It is much appreciated. I'm sure glad we didn't touch it. That could explain why it was all by itself. The other bats were like "uh, dude... that guy's sick, see(hear) you later!" :)

    Here's some trivia for you... aren't there more types of bats than there are within any other animal species?

    By Blogger "Duke", at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Google
CounterData.com

compare credit card
compare credit card Counter